student writing on whiteboard

Grades & Records

Transcript FAQs

Answers to the Most Common Transcript Questions

Registration and Transcripts

Provided that the student has been admitted to the university, college approval is required to register for classes after the Drop/Add deadline. Contact the college offering the desired course and follow the instructions given. For initial registration, contact the college of your major. Consult the academic calendar for important deadlines and view detailed instructions on dropping and adding classes.

Yes, someone else may order or pick up your official transcript as long as you give written and signed authorization to do so. The request must include all the information requested for ordering an official transcript.

No. Credit is awarded for traditional course work successfully completed at institutions of higher learning as indicated by ASU and the Arizona Board of Regents. However, only the name of the institution(s) and degrees awarded are listed on the ASU transcript.

You may request unofficial copies of transcripts from other schools if they were submitted to ASU and if they remain on file. If you are requesting transfer transcripts for official purposes, you must order transcripts from the issuing institutions.

Your ASU ID or affiliate number can be found on your Sun Card listed as a 10-digit number, or you can login to My ASU and look under ID’s on the My Profile tab.

Holds are listed on your My ASU page under the My Tasks section. There are two types of holds: financial aid disbursement holds and registration holds. Click on the title of Hold to find out how to have the hold removed.

Search for the course in the Schedule of Classes. The pre-requisites are listed in the Enrollment Information section of the Class Detail.

Course descriptions for catalogs after 1996 can be printed from the web at the catalog web site.  For course descriptions prior to 1996, contact University Archives or 480-965-4932. 

Contact the department offering the desired course, and follow the instructions they provide. Overrides are given either online or on paper. Paper forms must be processed in person at any registration location.

Official transcripts can be ordered online via My ASU, in person or through the mail. Read more detailed information about ordering official transcripts.

To register for the first time or make any changes to your existing registration you have the following options: Log into My ASU and navigate to the My Classes box. Use the registration link and follow the three easy steps listed there. Registration is available 24 hours per day, excluding scheduled outages. You may also visit any registration location to register in person. See detailed instructions and check the academic calendar for important drop/add/withdrawal deadlines.

The majority of degrees are posted within10-14 days of the degree conferral date. If you need to request an official transcript with your degree posted, you have the option to "hold for degree" which will ensure your official transcript will not be issued until your degree is posted.

Once the transcript is received, normal processing time is four to six weeks.

All students born after January 1, 1957 are required to meet the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) immunization requirement before class registration. Students have two options for completing this requirement and both are explained here. The MMR vaccine is available for a fee at any of ASU's Health Services locations. Read additional information about MMR. Read additional information about ASU’s Immunization Policy FAQ’s

You may obtain an unofficial and official transcripts if you have past due financial obligations to the university. Graduates with a delinquent financial obligation of $25 or more will not receive a diploma until their account is paid. Questions about delinquent accounts can be directed to Collections at 480-965-5220.

Currently enrolled, newly admitted/readmitted or former ASU students may submit a Student Change of Legal Name Form electronically through DocuSign, by mail, in person or by scanning and e-mailing. All requests require two different forms of documentation, one of which must be picture identification (state/government issued photo ID or ASU Sun Card) and one of the following: marriage license/certificate, adoption papers, court order, divorce decree, social security card or passport/permanent visa. The link to the DocuSign form and paper form can be found at /forms/name-change. For further assistance email or call 480-965-7276.

The schedule of classes can be found online. A link is also available in the My Classes box in My ASU.

Once registered for a course, it can take 24 hours for the course to appear. If the course still does not appear, contact the Help Desk at 480-965-6500. Be sure to verify you are registered for the course by checking your class schedule on My ASU.

On the Request for Official Transcript form or the online ordering system, you may request one of the following holds:

  • Hold until degree is posted - Your transcript will not be sent until your degree is posted to your ASU transcript.
  • Hold until grades are posted - Your transcript will not be sent until all grades for the term you specified on your order are posted to your ASU transcript.