Find answers to the most frequently asked questions


FERPA for Students

Yes, and you need to determine the appropriate balance between your desire to restrict your information and the need for people to be able to locate you. Here are some examples of what could occur after you have restricted release of your directory information: ASU could not provide your telephone number to a classmate trying to contact you to give you information about a class project. ASU could not give your address or telephone number to family members who are in town unexpectedly for the weekend and want to see you, but forgot to bring your address and telephone number. After you graduate, ASU could not confirm for a potential employer that you have completed your degree, without your advance written consent. Following your wish for full nondisclosure, ASU could not even confirm that you had ever been a student.

Yes, you have three choices, and it is important that you carefully consider your decision: By taking no action, you are choosing to authorize release of all your directory information from your ASU records. You may choose to allow the release of all of your directory information from your ASU records except your address (including email address) and telephone number. To update your address and telephone number, access My ASU or submit the appropriate form at any registrar location. You may choose to permit the release of none of your directory information from your ASU records.

No, FERPA applies to education records, which includes essentially everything the university maintains about you in any media. Categories of education records areas may include academic, financial, residential life, activities, disciplinary, etc. Medical and/or personal counseling records are protected under separate regulations and professional guidelines.

Yes and no. ASU does have a policy in place that controls the sale of releasable student information. However, it has been our experience that very few lists are sold — perhaps an average of four per year. It is quite likely that names and addresses of individuals who receive a lot of junk mail have been acquired in another manner. For example, the online ASU Directory is available free to anyone. As described above, all students who have not directed the university to limit the release of their directory information will be listed in that directory. Additionally, there are other non-university sources from which vendors and others may acquire student information. If you believe that someone has inappropriately acquired your information from a university resource, you are strongly encouraged to notify University Registrar Services immediately. Please call Records Information at 480-965-3124 for assistance.

ASU does not mail grade reports, even to students. You are encouraged to discuss the following options for obtaining your grades in advance of the close of your first semester at ASU: Access My ASU and use your ASURITE UserID and password to view your grades and/or unofficial transcript. Print a copy from this site and give it to your family or sponsor. Grant your parent or family member My ASU Parent Guest Access, which is a tool that allows students to share FERPA protected information with parents and guests. Visit any registrar location and request a copy of your unofficial transcript, which will reflect all of your grades. Provide a copy to your family or sponsor.

Important note to discuss with your parents/family: Once you have moved into postsecondary education, regardless of your age, all rights belong to you. Unlike your elementary school and high school experience, your parents and others have no inherent rights to access your education records. To avoid any misunderstandings, you are strongly encouraged to discuss this new aspect of educational rights with your family before beginning classes. Three options are available: The easiest and the recommended way is for you to print a copy from My ASU and share it with them. You may grant your parent or family member My ASU Parent Guest Access, which is a tool that allows students to share FERPA-protected information with parents and guests. If you are their tax dependent, your parents may provide a copy of their most recent U.S. tax return to document your tax dependent status, along with a notarized Affidavit of Dependency (form available from University Registrar Services), in order to view or obtain a copy of your records without your consent. Please note: We do not recommend this option — it is preferable that you maintain open lines of communication with your family about all aspects of your education, including your records and your grades.

There are three primary ways through which your personal directiory information may be released to third parties: display in the online university directory response to a third party's request for directory information sale to an outside individual or agency If you want to place restrictions on the release of your directory information, complete a Withhold Directory Information Request and submit it to any registrar location. Note: It is important to remember that your decision remains in effect until you request in writing to change it.

ASU's FERPA policy is in place to protect your records and to prevent inappropriate disclosure. This means that you must provide picture identification for in-person access to services and your records. You must select your private password when activating your ASURITE UserID, which you will use to access web-based records and services. Don't share your password with anyone. For your protection, services over the telephone and email may be limited if the university representative you are calling or emailing does not know you or is not confident of your identity. Your directory information (see list in Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) may be released to anyone who asks, unless you take specific steps to prevent the release of your information (see Question #2). Also, you can grant permission for ASU to share information from your educational records with specific people you identify (see Question #4).

Under the terms of the federal Education Tax Credits legislation, ASU is required to provide tuition and fee payment information annually to the IRS. Your SSN is required for this reporting, even if you use a non-SSN student ID number and you will claim neither the Hope Scholarship tax credit nor the Lifetime Learning tax credit. Additionally, if you apply for financial assistance of any type (grants, loans, scholarships, etc.), you will be required to submit your SSN with that application.

It is important that we use the same definition of emergency. If your brother forgot to make a deposit into your checking account and needs to find you right away, that is not an emergency. However, if there is a dangerous fire or safety situation, appropriate officials may be given your contact information.


Yes. You may grant your parent, family member or sponsor My ASU Parent Guest Access, which is a tool that allows students to share FERPA-protected information with parents and guests. The authorization remains in effect until you withdraw it.

Forty-five days is the maximum permissible waiting period under the law; however, at ASU you will typically be able to view your records immediately upon request.

You are encouraged to discuss the matter with the individual or office responsible for the alleged violation. If that is not possible or is not comfortable for you, please contact University Registrar Services at 480-965-3124 and ask for assistance.

Additional information is available from a variety of resources. Try these: