Students studying

Grades and records

Grades and Grading Policies

Credit enrollment

The semester hour is the unit on which credit is computed. It represents one 50-minute class exercise per week per semester. To obtain credit, a student must be properly registered and must pay fees for the course.

Grading options and definitions

Ordinarily a grade of "A+," "A," "A-," "B+," " B," "B-," "C+," "C," "D," or "E" is given upon completion of a course, unless another grading option such as "audit" or "pass/fail" is indicated at the time of registration.Grading options cannot be changed after the close of the add period.

The instructor of a course has full discretion in selecting which grades to use and report from the available grading options on the grade roster.

Fall 2004 and After1


Undergraduate Definition

Graduate Definition

A+     4.33
A Excellent Excellent 4.00
A-     3.67
B+     3.33
B Good Good 3.00
B-     2.67
C+     2.33
C Average Passing 2.00
D Passing No Graduate Credit 1.00
E Failure Failure 0.00
EN Failing Never Participated2 Failing Never Participated2 0.00
EU Failing Did Not Complete3 Failing Did Not Complete3 0.00
I Incomplete Incomplete
NR No Report No Report
P Pass n/a4
W Withdrawal Withdrawal
X Audit Audit
Y Satisfactory Satisfactory
Z Course In Progress Course In Progress
XE Academic Dishonesty Academic Dishonesty 0.00


1 Although the plus/minus scale includes a grade of A+ with a value of 4.33, the cumulative GPA is capped at 4.00. Questions about the grade scales may be referred to the University Registrar Services at For grading scales prior to fall 2004 click here.

2 Effective fall 2016 and later. 

3 Effective fall 2019 and later.

4 Not applicable for graduate classes.


Law Grading

Fall 2009 and after

Fall 2009 and after
Additional Grades










No Report






























High Honors





Academic Dishonesty






EN Failing Never Participated4 0.00    
EU Failing Did Not Complete5 0.00    


4 Effective fall 2016 and later.

5 Effective fall 2019 and later.

For grading scales prior to fall 2009, click here.


Incomplete (I)

A mark of "I" (incomplete) is given by the instructor when you are otherwise doing acceptable work but are unable to complete the course because of illness or other conditions beyond your control. You are required to arrange with the instructor for the completion of the course requirements. The arrangement is recorded on the Request for Grade of Incomplete form. Do not re-register or pay fees to complete the course. The completion date is determined by the instructor but may not exceed one calendar year from the date the mark of “I” is recorded. When you complete the course, the instructor must submit an online grade change request. If you receive an "I" in an undergraduate course in the fall 1983 or thereafter, your grade will be automatically changed to a failing grade "E" if you do not complete the course within one calendar year. If you receive an "I" in a graduate course (500-level or above) your "I" grade will become a permanent part of your transcript if you do not complete the course within one year, and you will have to reregister and pay fees to repeat the course for credit. Marks of "I" are changed to a grade of "E" (0.00) for purposes of evaluating graduation requirements for undergraduate students.

No Report (NR)

The "NR" grade simply means that a grade has not yet been reported. Once final grade processing takes place for the semester, most classes will have an actual grade posted instead of the "NR". If an "NR" grade appears for a course in a prior semester, you should contact the instructor of the course to find out why a final grade was not recorded.

Pass (P)

The "P" grading option is used to indicate a passing grade in a class when an individual student receives permission from both the class instructor and his/her college or school. For further information about this grading option, contact your advisor. If you earn a "P" grade, you will earn hours, but the grade is not used for computing your GPA.

A "P" grade should only be assigned when an individual student receives permission to take a course as pass/fail. Permission is recorded on the Pass/Fail Enrollment form. If the course only awards pass/fail grades, the "Y" grade should be utilized to indicate successful completion of the course.

Withdrawal (W)

If you withdraw from a class after the first week of school, you will receive a mark of "W" on your transcript. You earn no credit or grade for withdrawn classes.

Audit (X)

A student may choose to audit a course, in which case the student attends regularly scheduled class sessions, but no credit is earned. The student should obtain the instructor's approval before registering and paying the fees for the course. Selected courses may not be audited. Veteran students using education benefits should see Veterans Services.

The mark of "X" is recorded for completion of an audited course unless the instructor determines that the student's participation or attendance has been inadequate, in which case the mark of "W" (withdrawal) may be recorded. This grading option may not be changed after the close of the drop/add period. The "X" is not included in earned hours and is not computed in the GPA.

Satisfactory (Y)

The "Y" grade is generally used as a grade for successfully completed internships, projects, readings and conference, research, seminars, theses, dissertations, and workshops. You earn hours for a "Y" grade, but the grade is not used for computing your GPA.

Course in Progress (Z)

The "Z" grade is typically used for courses where work will not be completed within one semester's time, such as research, thesis, and dissertation. Once coursework is complete, your instructor will submit a grade change to assign an appropriate grade. Some courses, such as continued registration, do not earn credit and the "Z" grade will remain on your transcript.

Failing Never Participated (EN)

The grade of "EN" denotes failure due to the student never participating in a course and is treated the same as an "E" for the purposes of GPA, course repeatability, and academic standing determination. The "EN" grade assists ASU in determining a student's financial aid eligibility. For federal aid purposes, we must determine if a student participated in all courses for which they received federal aid. When a student does not participate, the financial aid office must recalculate the student's eligibility. A grade of "EN" will display on the student's transcript beginning fall 2016. Please review the "Grades and Grade Selection" section of the Grade Posting FAQs page for more information about the "EN" grade.

Failing Did Not Complete (EU)

The grade of "EU" should be used to indicate that a student never officially withdrew from the course, but failed to participate in course activities through the end of the course. The EU grade should be used when, in the opinion of the instructor, the student's completed assignments, course activities or both were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible because the student stopped participating in the course. This grade distinction is critical to federal financial aid administration.  A grade of "EU" will display on the student's transcript beginning fall 2019. Please review the "Grades and Grade Selection" section of the Grade Posting FAQs page for more information about the "EU" grade.

Academic Dishonesty (XE)

The grade of "XE" denotes failure due to academic dishonesty and is treated the same as an "E" for the purposes of GPA, course repeatability, and academic standing determination. A student may not avoid any penalty for academic dishonesty by withdrawing from a course. A student may be reinstated to a course to receive a penalty of a reduced or failing grade or XE. The grade of XE may only be assigned in accordance with ASU's Student Academic Integrity Policy, and not as part of the normal end of the semester grading process. 

Grading resources for faculty and staff

Support and roster contacts.

Grade Reports

You can obtain your final grades after every semester by using any of the following methods:

  • To view or print your grades, sign in to My ASU using your ASURITE UserID and Password.
  • Submit a request for an official grade report that will show the grades for the last semester in which grades have been processed. You may submit a request to any registration site.


Grade changes

Ordinarily the instructor of a course has the sole and final responsibility for any grade reported. Once the grade has been reported to the registrar, it may be changed upon the authorization of the faculty member who issued the original grade, a department chair, and the dean of the college concerned. This policy also applies to the grade of "I" (incomplete).

Grade changes are submitted online and receive approval by the department chair (or designee) and the dean of the college (or designee) in which the course is offered. Once approvals are received, the new grade will be reflected on your transcript immediately.

Repeating Courses

An undergraduate course taken by undergraduate students at ASU may be repeated for credit if the grade or mark of "D", "E", (including EU, EN, and XE) "W", "X" is received. To be eligible for the deletion of "D" or "E" grades from calculations of the GPA, the course must be repeated at ASU. Independent Learning courses may not be used to repeat "D" or "E" grades. Students who have graduated are not eligible to delete the grade for a course taken before the award of the ASU bachelor's degree. Undergraduate courses in which grades of "D" or "E" (including EU, EN, and XE) are received may be repeated only once. Generally, students may not repeat an undergraduate course for credit when a grade of "C" or higher is earned.

For additional information on repeating courses please refer to the following policies:

SSM 203-06: Deletion of a "D" or "E" Grade Received by an Undergraduate in an Undergraduate Course

SSM 203-05: Duplication of Credit by an Undergraduate Student

Graduate students see the ASU Graduate Policies and Procedures.

Financial Aid & Repeating Courses

Federal regulations limit the number of times a student may repeat a course and receive federal financial aid for that course.

  • A student may receive federal financial aid when repeating a course that was previously failed.
  • A student may receive federal financial aid to repeat a previously passed course (with a D or better) one additional time, whether or not a student received federal financial aid for an earlier enrollment of the course.   
  • Once a student has completed any course twice and earned a passing grade (with a D or better) they are no longer eligible to receive federal financial aid for that course
  • If a student retakes a course that is no longer eligible for financial aid, the units are excluded from the total enrollment calculated for financial aid and the student's financial aid will be adjusted to exclude these units. 

Grade adjustments will be processed automatically after the grades are reported each term. For additional information on repeating a course or the deletion process, contact Records & Enrollment Services at

Demonstration of mastery

An undergraduate student who receives a "D" in a course in which a "C" or higher is required may use the grade from an equivalent course taken elsewhere to demonstrate mastery at the "C" or higher level. However, the course may neither be transferred to ASU (since credit has already been given for the course) nor computed in the student's GPA.

Grades appeal

ASU has informal and formal processes students may follow to appeal a grade. See the Catalog.

GPA calculation

The following grades and their values are used in computing your semester and cumulative ASU GPA:

Grade* Grade Point Value
A+ 4.33
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
D 1.00
E** 0.00
*Other grades (W, X, Y, etc.) are not included in the GPA calculation.

**Grades EN, EU, XE, E1, E2, E3, E4, E5, and E8 are equivalent to an E for GPA calculation purposes.



To calculate your GPA, follow these steps below, or use the GPA Calculator.

  1. Multiply the grade point value by the number of semester hours for which the course was taken to determine the honor points.
  2. Add together all the honor points.
  3. Add together all the semester hours that received one of the above grades to determine net hours.
  4. Divide the honor points by the net hours to calculate the GPA.
    Honor Points ÷ Net Hours = GPA
    GPAs are rounded to the nearest 100th of a decimal point.
    Semester GPA is based on semester net hours. Cumulative GPA is based on total net hours.
    Although the plus/minus scale includes a grade of A+ with a value of 4.33, the cumulative GPA is capped at 4.00.




Semester Hours


Grade Point Value

Honor Points

ENG 101





MAT 117





ECN 111






(net hours) 9.0



20.01 ÷ 9.0 = 2.22 GPA


Students may receive credit for an ASU course by taking an examination in place of the actual course. Learn more.