Two students sitting in the lawn in front of Old Main in Tempe

Registration and academic records

Reverse Transfer at ASU

What is Reverse Transfer?

Reverse transfer refers to a situation in which students have transferred to ASU from an Arizona community college without earning an associate degree. Credits earned while the student is at ASU are transferred back to the two-year institution for evaluation and, if applicable, will be used for an associate degree conferral.

  • If you are in a MAPP/TAG program, credits will be transferred back to the college where you signed the agreement.
  • If you are not in a MAPP/TAG program, credits will be transferred back to the Arizona community college where you earned the most transferrable credit hours. 
  • Credits are sent at the end of fall and spring terms if you are registered for classes at ASU in that fall or spring term, and have at least 15 credit hours from the particular Arizona community college, and have earned at least 30 ASU credit hours, and the sum of the credits earned at that Arizona community college and ASU is at least 60.


Why should I be interested in getting an associate degree when I’m already at ASU?

By taking courses at ASU you may have already earned enough credits, coupled with your two-year institution credits, to get an associate degree and you should get credit for it. While you may have the best intentions to complete a bachelor’s degree, having another credential is a good “insurance policy”.

What do I have to do to initiate reverse transfer?

If you are in a MAPP/TAG program, you don't have to do anything. You have already given consent. If you are not part of one of these programs, but have attended an Arizona community college, make sure that you give ASU consent to share your transcript with partnering Arizona community colleges that you attended. There is no cost to you – we will send your ASU transcript back to your community college and they will check to see if you have met the requirements for their associate’s degree.

What if I previously agreed to ASU sharing my transcript with community colleges for the purpose of reverse transfer but want to rescind my consent?

You can change your consent to allow ASU to share by contacting Academic Alliances.

What policy guides ASU’s management of student data?

ASU strictly follows the rules and regulations of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).


Contact us at 602-496-1180.